Hair loss is the most common problem of humans worldwide. Although it is customary to shed between 15 to 100 hair strands daily, the number is over and beyond for some people. When your hair strands are visible on your pillowcases, and your hairbrush is regularly sometimes, you probably don’t need to worry that you are facing hair loss. You could just be shedding hairs more than usual.
Yes, there is a difference between hair loss and hair shedding. Shedding hair for up to 100 strands daily is normal. And sometimes, when a person sheds significantly more hair, the condition is called telogen effluvium in medical terms.
Read more about How these 10 remedies will change the way you approach dandruff?
After significant weight loss, childbirth, stress, fever, operation, illness recovery or even if a person stops taking birth control pills, it can lead to hair shedding. It happens because the body readjusts to the change and the excessive shedding subsides within a few months making the hair regain its normal fullness.
However hair loss, on the other hand, occurs when you are losing hair, but those hair strands are not growing back. Such a condition, in medical terms, is known as anagen effluvium. Due to immune system overreaction, side effects of certain drugs, excessive pulling hairstyles, harsh hair care products and even hereditary hair loss may occur. And your hair does not grow back until the cause is treated.
Whether it is hair shedding or hair loss in both cases, there is a common phenomenon that we face-hair fall. And when the hair fall exceeds the 100 strands milestone, it is an alarm for all of us that our hair needs extra attention and care to deal with and overcome that situation.
But when taking control of your hair fall, do you need to go for expensive cosmetic treatments? We don’t think so. We believe that there is nothing like proven and tested home remedies that have been used since ancient times and have helped many people stop hair fall and regain hair.
Today’s article is about stopping hair fall with home remedies. And we want you to read this article till the end to know about all the home remedy options you got before sticking to just one treatment.
How Do Our Hairs Fall?
Hair is the primary differentiator between humans and other mammals. In humans, hair is highly cherished and is a visible indicator of youth, health and even class. The sensory function of hairs protects us from UV radiation and cold and has a significant psychological impact when its structure or growth is deranged.
At the microscopic level, different lengths, diameters, colours and cross-sectional shapes of each hair create differentiation in the characteristic profiles across other ethnic groups and individuals.
Read more about Biotin For Hair Growth – Benefits & Side Effects
Before we discover how our hairs fall, let’s glance at the cellular components of hair.
There are two different structures of hair- the hair shaft and the follicle. The shaft is the one that comprises the visible part outside the skin, whereas the strand lies below the surface of the skin. Hair is also made of living and nonliving components under and above the epidermis level. Above the epidermis level, the hair shaft is cylindrical and thin and is made of keratinised epithelial cells. Below the epidermis, the hair follicle is a living element that enlarges at the base and forms the hair bulb. The follicle is the primary structure from which the hair grows, and the hair bulb is the region where the follicles actively produce hair.
Hair production is divided into 3 phases: anagen, catagen and telogen. Anagen is the phase where the hair follicles take an onion-like shape and start producing hair fibre. Catagen is the phase that begins with the end of the anagen phase in which the hair follicles undergo apoptosis-driven regression and losses and sometimes form a club hair, an essential prognostic indicator in the assessment of hair pathology.
The telogen phase is the resting phase for the hair cycle in which the hair follicles are dormant, and the growth of the hair shaft stops. More than 15% of all our body hairs are in the telogen phase at any given time, and this phase can sustain for weeks for eyelashes and one year for scalp hair.
Sometimes due to stress and other factors, some hair strands in the telogen phase fall out, which is when we experience hair fall.
The Leading Causes Of Hair Fall
Now let us know about the leading causes of hair fall. While some outside factors compel the hair to fall, some medical conditions too cause significant hair fall and leave a person in distress and worry.
In many cases, male or female pattern baldness is a primary cause of hair fall. However, there are other causes that result in excessive hair shedding from time to time. Now we will talk about the most common medical causes of hair fall.
Nutrition Deficiencies: What we eat every day has a significant impact on our body as well as our hair. Therefore, before looking for other contributing factors to hair fall, assessing your daily diet and its nutritional values is better. It could be possible that you are missing out on essential nutrients such as iron, zinc, copper and proteins.
Vitamin D deficiency is another cause of hair fall. To avoid hair fall, you need to get enough nutrients if it is caused by nutrition deficiency and spend some time soaking up in the sun; a vitamin D deficiency is a reason.
Hormonal Imbalance: After we age 30, specifically women experience hormonal imbalance, which can cause hair fall. This is usually caused by excessive dihydrotestosterone conversion. Women mainly produce estrogen, but other androgens and testosterone also occur in the female body. And when women reach a certain age, those androgens get converted into DHT, causing hair fall.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Polycystic ovary syndrome is quite a common problem in most women nowadays. It occurs due to a hormonal imbalance that creates higher levels of androgens than expected. This condition also causes hairs to grow on the face and body while the head hair grows thinner. PCOS also leads to ovulation problems, weight gain and acne.
Read more about Hair Loss Treatment Options in Hyderabad
Stress: Although it sounds normal to stress over something, extreme stress can cause sudden hair fall that lasts for several months. Minimising stress through meditation, yoga, exercise, and massages can reduce the chance of experiencing hair loss.
Thyroid Issues: The thyroid gland is at the front of our neck and is responsible for producing thyroid hormones. But when the hormone production is excessive or insufficient, the hair growth cycle may change significantly. However, if you have problems with your thyroid gland, you will notice other problems, such as weight gain or loss, changes in heart rate and sensitivity to cold or heat.
How To Stop Hair Fall With Home Remedies?
When you experience excessive hair fall, the first thing you should look for is natural and organic remedies instead of going for market-grade products or cosmetic treatments. It is because home remedies are free from the risk of side effects, so you don’t need to worry about your situation worsening.
There are many essential oils and remedies that you can try to reduce hair fall and ultimately stop it.
Essential Oils For Hair Fall Treatment
Lavender oil is known for boosting hair growth. It has properties that help the generation of cells and the reduction of stress. Researchers say lavender oil can also help antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that improve your scalp health and benefit hair growth.
To use lavender oil to reduce hair fall, mix three spoons of carrier oil with one spoon of lavender oil and apply it to your scalp. To treat hair fall, olive oil and coconut oil are the best carrier oils. You need to leave the oil to soak into your hair for one hour before washing it with a mild shampoo. You can follow this process on every alternative day of the week.
Read more about How to grow hair faster by Home Remedies!!!
Peppermint Essential Oil:
Peppermint oil has proved to increase the number of follicles, the depth of follicles and overall hair growth. It also promotes hair growth during its growth phase. You can mix a few drops of peppermint oil with any carrier oil and massage the mix on your scalp. Peppermint oil also works as a stress buster. Hence it has added benefits for your hair growth. Leave the hair for up to 30 minutes before washing it off thoroughly with shampoo and conditioner.
Rosemary Essential Oil:
If you want to have some thickness alongside hair growth, Rosemary oil is an excellent choice. Rosemary oil can improve cellular regeneration and performs as minoxidil with no side effects. Applying Rosemary oil on your scalp is the same- mixing it with any carrier oil of your choice and then using it on your scalp.
Home Remedies For Hair Fall
- Egg Mask: Eggs are rich in phosphorus, iodine, sulfur, zinc, selenium and protein that help promote hair growth. You can separate the egg white from the yolk and use the egg white to mix it with one tablespoon of olive oil and honey, make a paste with all those ingredients and apply it all over your hair from root to tip. You can rinse the pack with a mild shampoo after 20 minutes.
- Liquorice Root: Liquorice prevents hair loss and also hair damage. It soothes your scalp and helps you get rid of dandruff. You can make a paste of one tablespoon of liquorice root powder and 1/4 teaspoon of saffron with one cup of milk. Apply the mask to your hair and leave it overnight. You can wash it off the following day and repeat it twice a week.
- Coconut Milk: Coconut is a superman ingredient for our hair. The essential fats and proteins in coconut promote hair growth and prevent hair loss. You can prepare the milk at home by grating a medium-sized coconut and simmering it in a pan for 5 minutes. Let it cool down, and then add one tablespoon of black pepper and fenugreek seeds to the milk. Now apply it on your scalp, leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it with a shampoo.
Read more about How to Stop Receding Hairline?
- Green Tea: Green tea is rich in antioxidants that help you have a healthy body, boost hair growth, and prevent hair loss. You can soak two to three tea bags in one cup of hot water. You can also take more than one cup of water, depending on the length of your hair. When the tea is cooled down, spray it all over the scalp and gently massage your head before rinsing it with cool water after an hour.
- Beetroot Juice: Beetroot is rich in vitamin C, folate, B6, manganese, potassium and betaine. All those ingredients are essential for healthy hair growth. Besides, beetroot acts as a detoxification agent by keeping the scalp clean. You can boil 7 to 8 beetroot leaves and grind them with five to six henna leaves. Apply the paste on your scalp and leave it for 20 minutes before rinsing it with lukewarm water.
- Yoghurt And Honey: You can mix two tablespoons of yoghurt with one tablespoon of honey to make a hair mask on your scalp and roots. Leave the pack for 30 minutes and rinse it with cold water. You can use this mask once a week for the best results.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe Vera is an effective home remedy for hair fall and to boost hair growth. It also reduces problems on your scalp, like flaking and itching. You can take one Aloe Vera, leave extract the pulp and apply it to your hair and scalp for 45 minutes after this set. Rinse it with normal water, and you can reapply Aloe Vera gel the next day to see better results.
- Fenugreek Seeds: Fenugreek is one of the most effective home remedies to stop hair loss. It also repairs hair follicles and promotes hair regrowth. You can soak fenugreek seeds overnight in water, grind them to a fine paste and apply the paste on your scalp. Leave the paste on for 30 minutes on your hair, cover the head with a shower cap to keep it moist and rinse it off with normal water after 30 to 40 minutes. After applying the fenugreek seeds paste, you don’t need to use shampoo, and you can do it twice a week to control hair fall.
- Onion Juice: Onion has antibacterial properties that fight against scalp infections. The sulfur content of onion also improves blood circulation in hair follicles and promotes hair growth while controlling hair loss. You can extract onion juice by grinding the onion and squeezing out the juice. Now dip a cotton ball in onion juice and apply the same on your scalp. Leave the onion juice on your head for 30 minutes and then wash it off with normal water. Shampoo your hair and follow this procedure once a week to see results.
- Amla: Amla is another effective home remedy that stops hair fall. Amla is rich in vitamin C; consuming Amla will also strengthen the hair follicles and control hair fall. The anti-inflammatory and exfoliating properties of amla promote faster hair growth, maintain a healthy scalp and prevent premature greying. You can mix lime juice with Amla powder, make it a paste and apply it on your scalp and hair. Please keep it for one hour, then rinse it off with normal water to stop hair fall.
How To Take Care Of Your Hair To Reduce Hair Fall?
It is mandatory to try different remedies to stop excessive hair fall. But since prevention is better than cure, you also need to know about some preventive measures to follow to take care of your hair and reduce hair fall. Here are a few simple things you must remember to incorporate in your daily hair care routine to stop hair fall.
- Regular Trims: Our hair mostly gets damaged near the tips. And gradually, it starts damaging the middle part of our hair, making the hair strands fragile and easy to fall. Trim your hair every 6 to 8 weeks can help you solve that problem. When you chop off the damaged hair, it promotes new hair growth and removes split ends.
- Don’t Stress: Stress is one of the root causes of excessive hair fall, alongside many health issues. When you stress way too much, it disrupts hair growth and leads to premature greying. Again, yoga, meditation and regular exercising can help you improve your stress situations and reduce hair fall.
- Avoid Hot Showers: Though it is tempting to spend some time down a hot shower, especially during the winter, your hair does not like that. Hot showers dehydrate the hair stands by stripping the scalp of its natural oils. As a result, the hair becomes brittle, thin, and prone to breakage. If you find it difficult to bathe with cold water, you can opt for lukewarm water instead or try to rinse your hair with cold water, cover your head with a shower cap and then go for hot showers the rest of the body.
- Don’t Comb Wet Hair: If you are experiencing hair fall, you probably notice an excessive amount of hair strands while washing your hair. It is because wet hair is more fragile and prone to breakage. The same happens when you comb your wet hair. You can save your hair from falling out by not combing damp hair. You can also use a wide-toothed comb to comb your hair and air dry your hair before combing or styling.
- Not Wearing Tight Hairstyles: Pulling your hair too much from the roots can cause damage to the scalp. Hence you need to avoid it. It is also best if you don’t tie your hair tight while sleeping.
Some FAQs Answered About Hair Fall
What To Eat To Stop Hair Fall?
With home remedies and the best hair care routine, your diet also plays a vital role in maintaining healthy hair and stopping hair fall. Spinach, carrots, eggs, oats, walnuts, lentils, chicken, strawberries, guavas, yoghurt, and sweet potatoes are some beneficial foods you can incorporate into your daily diet to stop hair fall.
Can I Stop Hair Fall By Exercising?
Some specific exercises promote hair growth, such as jogging, neck exercises, side-to-side hops etc. You can also practice some yoga asanas that help with hair growth, such as Kapalbhati, Sarvangasana, Balasana, Vajrasana, Sirsasana, Matsyasana, and Uttanasana.
Can Alopecia Be Reversed?
As of now, there is no permanent cure for alopecia areata. However, you can grow your hair back by 80% within a year through lifestyle changes, a healthy diet, and the proper medication. It is always suggested to meet a dermatologist soon after you identify your hair loss condition as alopecia to start the treatment early and get the benefits.
How Can I Stop My Hair From Falling?
There are many reasons why hair fall occurs, such as protein deficiency, vitamin deficiency, use of specific medications, a lousy hair care routine, excessive heat styling and more. The best way to stop hair fall is to identify the cause of hair fall and then try to fix it. If your hair fall is caused by nutrient deficiency, you must eat extra protein daily and take enough vitamin supplements and foods that promote hair growth. If the cause of hair fall is a bad hair care routine or excessive heat styling, you need to incorporate a hair care routine that does not make your hair fall.
Is It Normal For My Hair To Fall?
Every day shedding 50 to 100 hair is normal. But if you are shedding hair excessively, which exceeds the 100 hair mark, it is better to see a dermatologist and seek medical attention.
Can The Hair That Falls Regrow?
If you don’t have any underlying medical condition, such as alopecia areata, you might be able to reverse hair loss. Though in many cases, the hair growth process might slow, and hair may regrow without treatment within a year. However, in the case of alopecia areata, it requires specific medication or surgery to reverse the condition.
Hair fall is a common problem we face every day. But at times, even the simple hair fall problem becomes severe, giving us enough complex that makes us think that we are not taking care of our hair in a good way. You can avoid being in that situation by making hair care our daily routine. I hope this article helped implant a good hair care habit in you that will keep your hair falling away. Keep following us for many such articles.